Programming and Communications Director
Yukonstruct Makerspace Society (YMS) was started in 2014 and has the mission to “provide access to communal space, quality resources, shared knowledge and a collaborative environment that helps entrepreneurs and makers.”
YMS operates two facilities to meet this mission: “(co)space,” a ~3000sf coworking facility that is a shared workspace, and “YuKonstruct,” a ~3500sf makerspace facility complete with a wood and metal shop, CNC machines, industrial sewing lab, Coding Lab, and much more.
YMS receives grants from various levels of government, sponsorships, and earns revenue from memberships, events, and workshops. YMS is in a development and growth stage and is building capacity for the future through attracting staff and volunteers and re-defining its operations and services.
YMS is seeking a self-motivated and creative individual that will take initiative to help develop the programming of the society as well as direct communications.
- Reporting to the Executive Director, the Programming and Communications Director will take the lead on overseeing and developing YMS’s programming, primarily at the makerspace, but also support programming at the coworking facility.
- Responsible for programming of workshops and training, specifically:
- Planning for appropriate workshops and training opportunities over a yearly timeframe in collaboration with the Makerspace Director
- Maintaining a schedule of workshops and training opportunities a few months ahead.
- Advertising workshops and training.
- Coordination of workshop instructors.
- Maintaining a list of resources available for training.
- Reporting on the attendance and success of workshops and training.
- Communication with the community and other organizations regarding potential programming.
- Responsible for directing and overseeing the society’s communications, including:
- Creation and circulation of monthly newsletters for both makerspace and (co)space, with content assistance from other staff and volunteers.
- Managing the society’s social media platforms
- Running social media and traditional media promotional campaigns for upcoming events, programming, and other communications needs.
- This position may be responsible for supervising a part-time staff seasonally and/or as programming grows.
- Other duties as required
- 32 hours per week.
- Some hours will include “front desk” reception responsibilities.
- A schedule of regular hours will be established.
Desired Skills and Knowledge:
- Post Secondary Degree. Preferably in education, communication, business, but other relevant degrees are accepted
- At least 2-years experience with offering education/training programming, developing programming, and/or overseeing program delivery.
- Knowledge of the maker movement and “STEAM” programming.
- Ability to design and deliver some programming.
- Experience with budgets, expense management, and other basic business skills an asset.
- Proficiency with social media, wordpress, mailchimp, and general marketing techniques.
- Ability to be self-driven and seek to improve and develop areas of responsibility.
- Good communications and interpersonal skills
- An entrepreneurial, innovative, and creative spirit.
Additional Application InstructionsPlease send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by April 30, 2017, at 11:59 pm.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Camp Housekeeper/Assistant CookDominion Gold ResourcesDawson City, YT26 Apr
United Way Yukon is looking for a Committee Chair and members (Community Engagement and Investment Committee)United Way YukonWhitehorse, YT26 Apr
United Way Yukon is looking for a Communications Chair (Board of Directors)United Way YukonWhitehorse, YT26 Apr
Line cookBurnt Toast CafeWhitehorse, YT26 Apr
Line cookThe Cut Off RestaurantWhitehorse, YT26 Apr
GOVERNANCE COORDINATOR FOR KASKA CHIEFSDaylu Dena CouncilLower Post, BC, Canada04 Nov
Campaign and Communications Coordinator – 6 month termCPAWS YukonWhitehorse, YT07 Apr
Front Desk Clerk (NOC 6525)Andrea's HotelWatson Lake21 Nov
Communications AnalystYukon Hospital CorporationWhitehorse, YT18 Apr
Teen Years Program Coordinator - CONNECTIONS ProgramBoys and Girls Club of YukonWhitehorse03 Mar