Job posting closes: April 27, 2017 at 11:45 pm
An Eligibility List may be established from this job posting – The duration of the eligibility list will be 6 months. Future vacancies will be filled by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires. The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Position: Constable, Traffic
Department: Bylaw Services
This is a Term Full Time position from July 12, 2017 to August 14, 2018 approximately
The incumbent provides primarily regulatory Traffic & Maintenance bylaw enforcement through the application of by-laws, zoning regulations and industry standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, coordinate and perform traffic enforcement services, liaise with the public and other departments in relation to regulatory bylaw traffic enforcement and control.
- Perform enforcement related activities including enforcing vehicle regulations, conducting investigations and responding to complaints. Report bylaw violations to appropriate bylaw staff for follow-up.
- Identify traffic related issues and forward concerns to Supervisor.
- Investigate, gather evidence, determine if there is sufficient evidence to prosecute, prepare documents, lay charges if warranted, serve summons, swear court documents, give evidence under oath and attend court.
- Respond to inquiries and interpret Traffic Bylaw.
- Provide traffic control services as required. Direct traffic for both prescheduled events and emergency situations.
- Provide input into regulatory Traffic Bylaw and make recommendations for operational improvements and efficiencies.
- Perform Parking Meter Attendant services as assigned.
- Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
- Other related duties.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
8 hour shifts between the hours of 0700-2400 Sunday – Saturday. Exposed to dust, noise, temperature extremes and inclement weather approximately 50% of the time and physical danger or threats.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Completion of Grade 12 plus 1 year previous related experience including 6 months in a law enforcement setting and dealing with the public.
- RCMP Vulnerable Sector check.
- Standard First Aid including level C CPR.
- Good organizational skills, prioritizing and ability to multitask with minimal supervision.
- Good skills relating to communications, team building, human relations, research and problem solving.
- Proven written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among peers and/or stakeholders.
- Valid class 5 Driver's license.
Additional certification required within one and a half years of employment:
- Dealing with Anger and Conflict Management.
- Traffic Control Training.
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods & WHMIS.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Vehicle, photo-evidence equipment, pepper spray, and general office equipment with the ability to operate ERP software programs, spreadsheets, electronic mail, word processing, etc.
Employment Contract: PSAC Y023
Range $28.22 - $33.20 per hour
Organizational Unit: City of Whitehorse -> Community and Recreation Services -> Bylaw
Location: City of Whitehorse - Whitehorse, YT Y1A 1C2 CA (Primary)
Sign up for Job Alerts
Camp Housekeeper/Assistant CookDominion Gold ResourcesDawson City, YT26 Apr
United Way Yukon is looking for a Committee Chair and members (Community Engagement and Investment Committee)United Way YukonWhitehorse, YT26 Apr
United Way Yukon is looking for a Communications Chair (Board of Directors)United Way YukonWhitehorse, YT26 Apr
Line cookBurnt Toast CafeWhitehorse, YT26 Apr
Line cookThe Cut Off RestaurantWhitehorse, YT26 Apr
Parking Meter AttendantCity of WhitehorseWhitehorse, YT12 Apr
Archival AssistantDawson City MuseumDawson City, YT21 Apr
Reading Room SupervisorDawson City MuseumDawson City, YT21 Apr
Food service Delivery driverDomino's pizzaWhitehorse, YT03 Apr
DELIVERY AGENT - RURAL SUBURBAN MAIL CARRIER - ON CALL RELIEFCanada PostWhitehorse, YT13 Mar